The coronavirus pandemic could be over within the next two years, WHO chief hopes
World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attends a daily press briefing on COVID-19 virus at the WHO headquarters in Geneva on March 11, 2020.
The coronavirus pandemic could be over within the next two years, the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.
Speaking at a press conference in Geneva on Friday, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus compared the COVID-19 pandemic to the 1918 Spanish flu, which took two years to overcome.
Tedros said that current advances in technology and in the healthcare sector could help the world overcome the virus “in a shorter time,” according to the BBC.
“Of course with more connectiveness, the virus has a better chance of spreading,” he said, the BBC reported. “But at the same time, we have also the technology to stop it and the knowledge to stop it.”
“So we hope to finish this pandemic (in) less than two years,” he told reporters.
Ghebreyesus also stressed the importance of “national unity, global solidarity” in fighting the virus, which was first reported in Wuhan, China in January
The Spanish flu infected 500 million people — about a third of the world’s population at the time — in four successive waves.
Lasting two years, it killed around 50 million people, including 675,000 Americans, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, has so far infected more and 22.9 million people worldwide and killed almost 800,000, according to a tracker by Johns Hopkins University.
Tedros comments come as several countries see a renewed spike in coronavirus infections following the summer period.
In South Korea, health authorities have recorded 324 new cases on Friday — its highest single-day total since March.
Courtesy of Sophia Ankel